Annual Essay Contest for Graduating High School Seniors
The Republican Women of Clifton (RWC) Club will award a $1,000.00 scholarship ($100.00 gift card for second place and a $50.00 gift card for third place) to a college bound high school senior who best expresses his or her own viewpoint on "DO YOU BELIEVE THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE SYSTEM SHOULD BE PRESERVED, MODIFIED, OR ELIMINATED, AND WHY?" The Republican Women of Clifton offer this scholarship annually to graduating High School seniors. The committee will be looking for strong motivation and demonstrated interest/awareness of service to the community.
Entry Deadline: The application and essay should be submitted no later than April 21, 2017. The essay should be no less than 400 words and no more than 500 words in length. Decision will be determined on the following considerations: Service to the community, leadership, academic performance, and the the essay.
1. A cumulative Grade Point Average of 3.0 or higher.
2. Demonstrated leadership qualities inside and outside the school.
3. Service to the community and/or demonstrated volunteer activities for a candidate campaign and/or demonstrated other activities that promote community.
4. Applicant must be an American citizen.
5. Current attendance at a Fairfax County or Prince William County High School. Home Schooled students are eligible as are students who attend a private high school or home school in neighboring jurisdictions.
Important: In the interest of fairness, all participants will remain anonymous until after the judging is complete. Additionally, no member of the RWC will serve as a judge if a family member is applying for the scholarship.
What High School do you attend?
What Colleges have you applied to?
Please describe the volunteering, advocacy or other activities that you have completed.
Please describe your leadership characteristics in and out of school.
*Please copy and paste your essay into this section*
The essay should be typed, double spaced, and be no less than 400 and no more than 500 words in length.
Essay Topic: Do you believe the Electoral College System should be preserved, modified, or eliminated, and why?